A Spotted Hyeana carcass was found on the road recently, with its head, feet and tail all removed. In some areas people view Hyeanas with a high degree of superstition and their body parts are often used for traditional medicine. It was badly mutilated and is was unclear if it had been killed on the road, and had its body parts removed in situ, or if the remains of the body had simply been dumped there. Roadkill is a big threat in this area, and we suspect this was the cause, and that it was nothing more sinister. Plans for a project looking at the extent, impact and mitigation of roadkill in this area are underway.
Limpopo-Shase Transfrontier Park
Rox Brummer of the Endangered Wildlife Trust, and her dogs Snoopy and Barclay report on carnivore research that is helping to conserve one of Africa's greatest cross border protected areas the great Limpopo-Shase Transfrontier conservation area, a peace park linking South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe
- The Duke of Cambridge: My tribute to Africa's unsung heroes - Telegraph.co.uk
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: White lion with Hollywood links killed and decapitated by poachers - Express.co.uk
- Losing animals is 'very painful' - Independent Online
- #ShockWildlifeTruths: Madikwe's 1000+ elephants in need of rescue escape corridor - News24
- Rangers reveal the devastating effects of poaching - News24