A Spotted Hyeana carcass was found on the road recently, with its head, feet and tail all removed. In some areas people view Hyeanas with a high degree of superstition and their body parts are often used for traditional medicine. It was badly mutilated and is was unclear if it had been killed on the road, and had its body parts removed in situ, or if the remains of the body had simply been dumped there. Roadkill is a big threat in this area, and we suspect this was the cause, and that it was nothing more sinister. Plans for a project looking at the extent, impact and mitigation of roadkill in this area are underway.
Limpopo-Shase Transfrontier Park
Rox Brummer of the Endangered Wildlife Trust, and her dogs Snoopy and Barclay report on carnivore research that is helping to conserve one of Africa's greatest cross border protected areas the great Limpopo-Shase Transfrontier conservation area, a peace park linking South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe
- Alamo Heights Weekly Community Calendar (March 12-18) - San Antonio Express
- Poachers zero in on lions - Citizen
- Pupils trapped due to flooding in Limpopo school - South African Broadcasting Corporation
- Teaching baby hornbills to be birds - Times LIVE
- This Is What Poaching Looks Like: Rhino Filmed Stumbling Around After Its Horn ... - Huffington Post UK