A Spotted Hyeana carcass was found on the road recently, with its head, feet and tail all removed. In some areas people view Hyeanas with a high degree of superstition and their body parts are often used for traditional medicine. It was badly mutilated and is was unclear if it had been killed on the road, and had its body parts removed in situ, or if the remains of the body had simply been dumped there. Roadkill is a big threat in this area, and we suspect this was the cause, and that it was nothing more sinister. Plans for a project looking at the extent, impact and mitigation of roadkill in this area are underway.
Limpopo-Shase Transfrontier Park
Rox Brummer of the Endangered Wildlife Trust, and her dogs Snoopy and Barclay report on carnivore research that is helping to conserve one of Africa's greatest cross border protected areas the great Limpopo-Shase Transfrontier conservation area, a peace park linking South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe
- Kruger Park suspected rhino poacher shot dead - Eyewitness News
- Old African Fortress Inspires New Deal - National Geographic
- Deals this week: Chaparral Gold, CoAL of Africa, Uragold Bay Resources and ... - Mining Technology
- R55 Milliom Biodiversity Offset Pact Signed - AllAfrica.com
- Parties sign Vele colliery biodoversity offset agreement - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly